1) Why is the university called non-profit organization?
It means that the main goal of the university is not to make profit. In non-profit organizations, any generated profits are re-invested in the organization to serve its purposes.
2) Do I have to pay the fees all at once, or can I pay in installments? And when are the fees due?
The fees for each semester are payable in advance or in two installments. Exact dates for paying in installments can be obtained from the university’s finance department.
3) Are the fees different for non-Egyptian students?
No, AOU fees are the same for all students.
4) Does the university offer academic scholarships to students who score highest GPA?
AOU offers scholarships for outstanding students with high scores.
5) What are the documents required for applying to the university?
- Original copy of high school education certificate. This includes “Thanaweya Amma” and its equivalents, such as American Diploma, I.G.C.S.E, and others.
- Original or official copy of birth certificate.
- 6 photos for the applicant.
- A photocopy of personal or family ID card for Egyptians.
- A photocopy of passport for non-Egyptians.
- Any other certificate obtained after “Thanaweya Amma” or its equivalent.
6) Are there any exams to be taken for admission?
Students will sit for both Arabic and English Proficiency Tests to determine which Arabic and English language courses they need to study.
|Level I||0 – 59%||AR111|
|Level II||60% – 89%||AR112|
|Expert||90% and above||Exempted|
|Basic||0 – 29||EL099|
|Advanced||61 – 79||EL112|
7) Can I re-sit for the language proficiency tests if I want to improve my grade?
Yes, but students have to pay for it.
8) Can I apply here and transfer to another AOU branch?
Yes, through arranging with both university branches.
9) Can I choose the courses to take?
Yes, you can, but under the supervision of your academic advisor.
10) How many credit hours does it take to graduate?
You will need from 128 to 135 credit hours depending on your specialization.
11) How long does it take to graduate and obtain the bachelor’s degree?
Normally 4 years, assuming that you take about 16 credit hours each semester. Naturally, if you take fewer courses per semester, then it will take you longer time to graduate. It is important to note that the maximum study duration at AOU is 8 years (16 semesters).
12) How are the passing grades in a course determined?
As per the BA bylaws (Article 21)
Final grades for each course as letter grades shall correspond to the following points:
Grade D is considered as the minimum passing grade for student’s successful completion of the course.