Graphic and multimedia design and development play an increasingly key role in the advertising and entertainment industries with an increasing corresponding demand for professionals with the skills and knowledge to develop appropriate solutions for the broad range of sectors. The prevalent use of both interactive and visual graphics/multimedia/animations within education, e-commerce, promotion, digital marketing, DVD production, mobiles, games, websites and entertainment is increasing both in quantity and the quality of the media. It is also a critical reference point that the industry is composed of both large and small operators requiring graduates with both specialized and contextual knowledge.
This programme addresses these requirements by providing a structured curriculum that integrates and relates the key methodologies, techniques, and technologies of computer graphics, multimedia and animation design, production and workflow. The programme however underpins these with a solid grounding in the theoretical and practical underpinnings of computer science as a discipline to enable graduates to continue to efficiently work within an ever evolving, changing and complex sector both in terms of the technology as well as end-user/customer requirements.
Our aim is to ensure that our graduates will be capable of designing and developing creative graphic and multimedia production/applications/solutions. To support this aim, the programme has been designed to ensure the following with considerable emphasis on practical applications and hands-on experience.
- All our graduates have an appreciation and understanding of the fundamentals of computer science;
- Provide students with a reliable and appropriate set of intellectual, analytical and practical tools such that they can competently and professionally practice within the fields of graphic and multimedia design.
- Provide the opportunity, through critical and cultural studies delivered as an integral part of studio projects, for students to develop critical insight into contemporary graphic and multimedia design practices and debates.
- Students will be able to locate their own work within a wider cultural context, with a clear understanding of the cultural, aesthetic and professional forces that shape contemporary graphic and multimedia design and development, using them to reflect on their own practice;
- Develop in students an ability to communicate effectively to a range of audiences, to work with others, to listen, discuss and negotiate and to develop self-reflective practices;
- Enable students to develop a range of personal and entrepreneurial skills, which will equip them with the ability to respond to current and future career challenges.
Both curriculum design and teaching and learning strategies incorporate the need for a range of skills, and it is anticipated that students who progress through the course will improve their abilities in these areas, as well as in the subject’s specific skills.
Relationship to other programmess and awards
The Graphic and Multimedia Design Technology program is a unique program at the Specialisation Requirements level. However the programme shares the University requirements (M/E) , Faculty Requirements ( Mandatory) and some of the Faculty requirements
(Elective) with the ITC programme offered from the Faculty of Computing Studies as per the programme structure (Section-7)
Distinctive Features of the Program
The main aim of this programme is to provide students a keen grasp of graphic design and multimedia technology, including 3D model construction, lighting, and animation that will enable the interested individuals to create exciting, engaging, and interactive experiences. In addition, individuals will learn how to correct and enhance already developed images/multimedia and develop all types of graphic media including web pages, marketing campaign, advertising, instructional material, and multimedia projects. The programme will help in developing strong skills in artistic creativity, historical background of graphic/multimedia design, multimedia and graphic design standards, specialized theoretical background, business fundamentals, and mastering the relevant technologies and tools. Therefore, this programme balances the theoretical and the practical aspects, and the artistic and technology aspects.
In addition to the above mentioned, the program has the following distinctive features:
- Different pathways are available to the students based on the selection of elective courses (Graphic design or Multimedia programming)
- Flexibility (Duration up to 8 years with 25% Face to face tutoring sessions + 75% independent study, wide range of project topics)
- Tutorials are delivered by tutors with professional experience in Multimedia and Graphic Design in addition to their academic experience, which contributes to preparing our graduates for the industry.
- Tutoring is conducted by a well-qualified team of tutors
- The practical nature of the program
- Boosted by the collective intelligence of multiple tutor teams at different branches.
On successful completion of the BSc degree students will be able to get employment opportunities in either regional or international markets. The successful graduate of Graphics and Multimedia design programme will be able to apply for positions such as scriptwriter for multimedia, web designer, multimedia producer, computer-based training designer, web script language developer, game designer/developer, creative director and more. There are many entry-level career opportunities with corporations, organizations, educational institutions, government agencies, entertainment, art galleries, creative design studios and advertising industries in addition to the high potential of entrepreneurship. The types of industry sector offering work are broadening for two reasons: the cost of multimedia software and hardware is falling and multimedia communications using the web are becoming mainstream. The uses of multimedia are becoming more diverse from games and entertainment to advertising, and training. The latest application is in the mobile sector with the up-to-date smart devices.
Potential job opportunities are found in the professional sectors of image production, based on the execution of projects in the field of audiovisual, motion picture, television, photography, theater and multimedia.
- Advertising agencies
- Graphic design studios
- Printing houses
- Publishing houses
- Web design companies
- Teaching and research
- Animation studios
- Political communication offices
- Communications offices in major ‘in house’ commercial structures
- Illustration, storyboard and comics offices
- Film production companies
- Making of movies and documentaries
- Web design and 2D and 3D animation production companies
- Commercial photographic production companies
- Sales and business relations in the field of photography
- Career in film and digital laboratories
- Television channels or subsidiary.